I'm a strong supporter of slow cooker meals. I love the idea of throwing ingredients together in the morning, letting them cook all day and dinner is ready when we are. This Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is the ultimate comfort meal with tender beef and mushrooms in gravy served over egg noodles. The flavor is out of this world!
The original recipe was passed down to me from my aunt. She claims this recipe is one of the two things she can cook (the cooking gene might have missed a few family members). The original recipe called for the stroganoff to cook in the oven, but I have adapted it to a slow cooker version.
What's the Beef?
Stew meat typically is cut from the chuck or round parts of a cow. This meat needs to be cooked low and slow to get nice and tender making it a perfect slow cooker choice.
If you buy the stew meat at the grocery store it will already be cut. If you are using a whole round steak or chuck roast, cut the meat into nice bite size pieces. Place the meat in a mixing bowl.
Sprinkle over flour and spice mixture consisting of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Mix well to coat all the beef.
Next, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. Place the beef in the bottom of your slow cooker. It may be tempting, but do not skip the step of browning the meat! It adds a ton of flavor!
Making the Gravy
To the slow cooker with the beef, add one can of beef consommé, water, sliced mushrooms and chopped onion. You will find beef consommé in the soup aisle right next to beef broth. Beef consommé is a fancy word for a concentrated beef broth. It adds a wonderful, rich flavor to the gravy.
Cook the beef on low for 6-7 hours. When time is up, remove cover and add sour cream. This is what takes this dish from regular beef and gravy to beef stroganoff. At this point, you may notice the gravy is not as thick as you may like. If this is the case, in a small cup, whisk together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water and mix it into the slow cooker. Cover and leave slow cooker off or in the warm setting while you boil the egg noodles. You don't want the mixture to "boil" as you risk curdling the sour cream.
Serving the Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Cook egg noodles according to package instructions. To serve, place a good helping of egg noodles on a plate and ladle over beef mixture.
Slow cooker meals allow you to enjoy more family time instead of cooking for hours in the kitchen. I know how valuable this time is and that's why I love recipes like this one. This Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is so good, I won't tell anyone if you lick your plate clean!
Other comfort food recipes:
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 1 # beef stew meat
- 3 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ white or yellow onion chopped
- 1 10.5 oz. can beef consommé
- ½ cup water
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 12 oz. wide egg noodles
Cornstarch Slurry (if needed)
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- Cube round steak into bite size pieces. Place in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with flour and spices. Stir to coat meat well.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. Place meat in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour consommé, water, onions and mushrooms into slow cooker and stir everything together. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours.
- After time is up, turn off the slow cooker and stir in sour cream. Cover and allow to warm through while cooking the egg noodles. Leave slow cooker off or on the warm setting. At this time if you would prefer the gravy to be thicker, mix up the cornstarch slurry and stir into the beef mixture.
- Cook egg noodles according to package instructions. To serve, place egg noodles on plate and ladle over beef & gravy.
- Beef can also be cooked in slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours
- Serve with a side salad or steamed vegetable
- Leftovers are even better!