You may look at that recipe title and be either confused or intrigued, but trust me, the flavor of this Apple Chicken Sandwich is on point! Take a cooked chicken breast, top it with cheddar cheese, sliced apples & cranberry mayo on a brioche bun and you have yourself a new way to enjoy a traditional chicken sandwich.
Apple Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
- Thin sliced chicken breast - I prefer using the thin sliced for chicken sandwiches as they cook quicker and keep more of an even thickness when cooked
- Sliced cheddar cheese - have you ever heard of eating cheddar cheese with a slice of apple pie? It's a real thing! Remember, you said you were going to trust me here...
- Granny smith apples - the tartness of granny smith apples works perfectly with the other flavors and the crunch gives the sandwich a great texture
- Cranberry mayo - while it may be a loose interpretation of cranberry mayo, it flows off the tongue better than dried cranberries mixed with some mayo. The chewiness of the cranberries adds another layer of texture and delicious flavor to the sandwich
- Brioche bun - soft, buttery and the perfect "wall" for this Granny Apple Chicken Sandwich
How to Make It
Making a Apple Chicken Sandwich starts with cooking the chicken breasts. Season thin sliced chicken breasts on both sides with salt & pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add in chicken breasts and cook 5-6 minutes, then flip and cook another 5-6 minutes until chicken reads at least 165 degrees in the middle. When chicken is done turn off the heat and place a slice of cheese on each chicken breast. Allow the chicken to sit in the pan to let the cheese melt.
While the cheese is melting, whip up the cranberry mayo. Prepare yourself for a long process. In a small bowl, combine mayo & dried cranberries. The end.
Before starting to assemble the sandwiches, cut up the apple. You will want to do this as the last thing so the apples don't turn too brown after being sliced. Easiest way to slice the apple is to stand it up on the cutting board and make 4 cuts around the core. Then, cut thin slices out of each of those parts.
To assemble, take brioche bun and spread a good layer of the cranberry mayo on the top bun. Having the cranberries mixed right into the mayo also helps keep them from falling out of the sandwich. Place chicken breast on bottom bun and evenly spread out the apple slices on top (4 or 5 fit nicely). Put the top on and it's ready to serve!
This Apple Chicken Sandwich provides plenty of color, texture and flavor that makes it a fun new sandwich option for lunch. Serve alongside chips, fresh fruit or veggies and lunch is served!
To keep up to date with my latest recipes, be sure to follow me on social media!
Apple Chicken Sandwich
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 thin sliced chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 granny smith apple
- cranberry mayo recipe below
- ⅓ cup mayo
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper on both sides. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Place chicken in skillet and cook 5-6 minutes, then flip over and cook another 5-6 minutes until chicken reads at least 165 degrees in the middle.
- When chicken is done, turn off heat and place a slice of cheddar cheese on each chicken breast. Allow chicken to sit in the pan for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- While cheese is melting, combine mayo & dried cranberries in a small bowl. Slice a granny smith apple into thin slices.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread layer of cranberry mayo on top side of brioche bun. Place chicken breast on bottom bun and top with apple slices. Top with cover bun and serve.