This Homemade Ranch Dressing is loaded with fresh herbs & spices and is made with low-fat mayo & Greek yogurt for a delicious topping for salads or a dip for veggies!
Here in the Midwest and more specifically Minnesota where ketchup is often considered "a little spicy", ranch dressing reigns supreme. We seriously put this stuff on everything from French fries to pizza as well as our go-to salad dressing. I often feel my kids have ranch dressing with a side of carrots instead of the other way around. This inspired me to create a version that is a little more guilt-free by using low-fat mayo and Greek yogurt instead of the standard mayo and sour cream. With plenty of fresh herbs and spices, this Homemade Ranch Dressing is a great way to get your ranch fix!
What You'll Need for Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Low-fat mayo - I like to look for a mayo that is made with either avocado oil or olive oil. Mayo made with these oils are lower in calories and "bad" fat. These oils also provide other health benefits compared to regular mayo. A few years ago, I made the switch to these mayos for everyday use and haven't looked back. I really don't notice a huge difference in flavor.
- Plain Greek yogurt - Greek yogurt is loaded with protein and vitamins. It is often used as a healthier substitute to sour cream.
- Lemon juice - goes perfectly with all the fresh herbs and adds some acidity to the dressing.
- Milk - thins out the dressing to the right consistency for pouring. If using this strictly for a ranch dip, feel free to reduce the amount of milk to about ¼ cup.
- Fresh dill, parsley & chives - these are the typically the herbs used in most ranch dressings. Fresh herbs are the key to this recipe, the flavor can't be beat! Chop all the herbs finely to ensure they are dispersed evenly throughout the dressing.
- Spices - onion powder, garlic powder, garlic cloves, salt & pepper provide some more great flavor to this Homemade Ranch Dressing.
The instructions for this Homemade Ranch Dressing are pretty straightforward. In a bowl whisk together mayo, Greek yogurt, milk & lemon juice. Then add the chopped herbs and all the spices. Mix everything well and it's done! I like storing this dressing in a pint-size mason jar, but any airtight container will work.
This Homemade Ranch Dressing is the perfect topping for a classic garden salad, served in a small bowl as a dip for raw vegetables, or anywhere else the use of ranch is warranted.
Finding That Balance
This is not the time where I'm going to get up on my soap box and tell you how to eat healthier. Believe me, I have my own work to do. I do however believe in finding a balance between healthy foods and more indulgent ones. Raising kids also inspires me to help them establish good eating habits early on in hopes that they will grow into adults that enjoy eating well. I love recipes like this Homemade Ranch Dressing that don't sacrifice flavor for some healthier options.
This Homemade Ranch Dressing will keep in the refrigerator for about a week. This recipe could also be cut in half if needed.
A simple garden salad with this dressing would go wonderfully with:
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup low-fat mayo see note below
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup milk
- juice of ½ a lemon or 1 tbsp. bottled lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- In a bowl, whisk together mayo, Greek yogurt, milk and lemon juice.
- Add chopped herbs and spices. Mix well. Store in an airtight container and use to top salads or as a dip for vegetables.
Helpful Equipment & Ingredient Links
- * Mayo made with avocado or olive oil will have less calories and generally less "bad" fats than regular mayo. I use them as a daily substitute for mayo and enjoy them while feeling a little less "guilty".
- Fresh herbs are key in this homemade ranch dressing! Results will not be the same if dried herbs are used.
- Dressing will keep for about a week.
This homemade ranch dressing was super easy to make and turned out great!! Much better than store bought and was perfect on my salad for lunch today!
Never buying store-bought again! This is so creamy and dreamy!
I love that you used yogurt in this recipe, I am making it tomorrow we will love this with our chicken wings!
My son loves Ranch dressing. This recipe looks so healthy and delicious! Can't wait to try it soon!
Wait... why have I never thought to make my own ranch dressing at home?? This is genius!! Bookmarked to make this weekend, thank you so much for the recipe 🙂