This Noodle Rice Pilaf is a quick & easy side dish that goes well with a variety of protein options. The combination of white rice and thin egg noodles cooked in flavorful broth & seasonings makes a great go-to side!
If you're like me, it's easy to get into a rut when it comes to side dishes. One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is that it's so versatile. Switch up the chicken broth for beef or vegetarian, and serve alongside anything from chicken, pork, beef or even seafood. Even better, it comes together in quickly in one pot that will help get dinner on the table fast!
What You'll Need for Noodle Rice Pilaf
- Butter, onion & garlic - these ingredients add great flavor! The butter helps the rice & noodles get nice & golden brown.
- White rice - long grain white rice will do the trick. You don't want the instant kind. If looking for a healthier version, brown rice would also work!
- Fine egg noodles - found in the pasta aisle. When measuring out the noodles, break them apart into small pieces about an inch long, give or take.
- Chicken broth - remember my trick? I always have chicken base in my fridge. Add 2 tsp. of base to 1 cup of hot water to make your own chicken broth. Again, chicken broth could be substituted with beef or vegetable broth. Adds so much flavor!
- Parsley - garnish for a great pop of color!
Making the Noodle Rice Pilaf
Grab a large skillet or saucepan to get the Noodle Rice Pilaf started. Heat butter oven medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and sauté 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent. Add in minced garlic and cook another minute.
Next, add uncooked white rice & egg noodles. Stirring often, cook 2-3 minutes until rice & noodles get lightly browned. It's important to watch this part closely and stir the mixture often. The rice & noodles can go from browned to burnt pretty quick. Browning the rice & noodles adds a delicious, nutty flavor to the pilaf.
Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, stirring a couple of times. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped parsley.
Other Add-in Ideas
Some other great ideas to add to the Noodle Rice Pilaf are:
- Parmesan cheese
- Green peas
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Sautéed bell peppers
I love having recipes like this Noodle Rice Pilaf as a part of my dinner rotation. There's something about the simplicity of it that makes it perfect as part of a weeknight meal, but can also pass as a more upscale side dish to something like a steak. Remember, it doesn't have to be fancy or time-consuming to be delicious! Feeling like switching it up? With so many add-in and flavor options, the possibilities are endless!
Noodle Rice Pilaf
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ white onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ cup fine egg noodles crushed into small pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large saucepan or skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Mix in white rice & egg noodles. Cook 2-3 minutes until rice & noodles are lightly browned.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Garnish with chopped parsley.