This Monkey Milkshake is made by combining vanilla ice cream with bananas, coconut cream and chocolate syrup. You'll go ape over this milkshake!
Eons ago, my husband and I took a very late honeymoon to Mexico. We had been married almost 2 years and neither of us had been out of the country. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort outside Cancun and ate & drank to our heart's content. I never got used to the concept of eating a huge meal and just getting up and walking out without paying a bill. And the drinks, so good! I took a picture of the drink menu to bring home with me in an attempt to recreate them at home.
My favorite drink from this vacation was called the "Dirty Monkey" and consisted of bananas, coconut cream, chocolate and of course rum, blended with ice. It had fruit in it so it must've been healthy, right? I think I had my yearly intake of potassium that week. It was truly love at first drink. I've recreated a version of it at home with success, but honestly, I'm not a huge drinker. I enjoy a drink here and there, but wanted to create something my kids could also enjoy. This Monkey Milkshake takes all the delicious flavors of the Dirty Monkey, minus the rum, and blends it up with vanilla ice cream. It's the perfect sweet treat!
How to Make The Perfect Monkey Milkshake
Grab your ingredients - I love recipes that I can count the ingredients for on one hand. The stars of the Monkey Milkshake include:
- Vanilla ice cream - whatever your favorite brand is! When measuring out 3 cups of ice cream, I've found 1 cup is usually equal to about 2 scoops. You want to be close to 3 cups, but doesn't need to be precise.
- Bananas - whenever I have extra bananas that get a little too ripe, I stick them in the freezer. They work great for banana bread, Banana Oatmeal Cookies and this milkshake!
- Cream of Coconut - this is what really sends the milkshake over the top. I could drink this stuff straight up. It's usually found by the drink making stuff, like margarita mix and ginger beer.
- Milk - for texture. Gives the milkshake just enough liquid.
- Chocolate syrup - the flavor combines perfectly with the banana & coconut
Blend it up - To make the Monkey Milkshake, simply combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. I like to drizzle some extra chocolate syrup on the inside of the glass to create a fun look before pouring the milkshake in. Top with a generous helping of whipped cream and serve immediately!
Can I Make An Adult Version?
Absolutely! Turn this Monkey Milkshake into a Dirty Monkey Milkshake by adding a shot (or two) of white rum to the blender. I'd leave out the milk as you probably won't need the extra liquid. Warning: if you drink too many, you may start acting like a monkey!
What If I Don't Have Frozen Bananas?
If you don't have the time (or willpower) to stick a couple bananas in the freezer for an hour, you can go ahead and use room temperature bananas. They will work just fine, but your milkshake just might not be as thick as if they were frozen.
Other sweet treats:
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 frozen bananas
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp. chocolate syrup
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Drizzle glass with extra chocolate syrup, desired. Pour milkshake into glass and serve immediately.