This thick & rich Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce is so much better than store-bought and you won't believe how easy it is to make! Use as an ice cream topping for the perfect sundae!
I wasn't kidding when I said this Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce was easy to make. Just a handful of ingredients and 10 minutes gets you a decadent and sinful sauce. This Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce makes a great topping for a variety of desserts, with the most obvious being a big bowl of vanilla ice cream!
I don't know if there's anything better than warm hot fudge on vanilla ice cream. The hot fudge pools at the bottom and melts some of the ice cream to make the perfect dichotomy of desserts.
Ingredients for Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
How to Make It
- Melt butter in a saucepan with milk. Add the marshmallow and cook until they are melted. This mixture gives the sauce it's creamy, thick consistency along with some sweetness. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate chips and whisk until chocolate melts completely. Then add vanilla extract.
- Pour sauce into an airtight container (I love using mason jars for this) or right on top of your dessert.
Did I mention this was easy?
How to Reheat It
This recipe makes about 1-½ cups of hot fudge. You could definitely double the recipe if you need more to share. Another great thing about this recipe is that this sauce will keep in the fridge for at least a month! This stuff has become a staple in my fridge during the summer months.
To reheat the hot fudge sauce, portion out the amount you need into another microwave safe container. Reheat in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the sauce is pourable. I don't like reheating the whole container multiple times as the texture could be affected and from a food safety standpoint, I don't think it's a wise idea.
Best Ways to Use Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
Besides topping vanilla ice cream, this Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce makes a great addition to a variety of desserts!
- Other ice cream flavors like caramel, mint chocolate chip or even chocolate for the ultimate chocolate lover's dream!
- Drizzle over cake or cheesecake. Yum!
- Mix into cold milk for the best chocolate milk you've ever had!
- Use as a dip for fresh fruit
- Grab a spoon and take a scoop right out of the jar!
Optional Add-In Ideas
Take the base of this delicious Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce and transform it by adding various flavors:
- Peanut butter - add ¼ cup of for a chocolate-peanut butter hot fudge
- Cinnamon - add a teaspoon to create a Mexican hot fudge sauce
- Peppermint extract - perfect for the holidays! A little goes a long way so start with ¼ teaspoon.
- Orange zest - I just love the combo of chocolate & orange
Other easy dessert ideas:
No-Churn Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Be sure to follow The Darling Apron on Facebook & Instagram along with what I’m pinning on Pinterest!
Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup milk
- 20 marshmallows regular size
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-½ tsp. vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine butter and milk over medium high heat. When butter is melted, add marshmallows. Stir and cook until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Stir mixture until chocolate melts, then add vanilla.
- Store hot fudge refrigerated in an airtight container. Sauce will keep for at least a a month.
Leave a Reply