Totchos are the perfect midwestern version of their more well-known cousin, nachos. Both involve some type of carb topped with meat, cheese, toppings and a sauce. What could be bad? Totchos replace the tortilla chips used in nachos with potato crowns, or "tots". Totchos have been gaining in popularity as a great game day food as they are so simple to make and are served right on the sheet pan. With potatoes, peppers, eggs & bacon topped with cheese and sausage gravy, these Breakfast Totchos need no kick off time to become a family breakfast favorite.
The ease of this recipe involves a sheet pan to cook the potato crowns on, and one skillet to make the rest of the toppings. Your dishwasher will thank me!
Just as if ordering an omelet or breakfast skillet at a restaurant, these sheet pan Breakfast Totchos can be customized to your liking. Use ham instead of bacon or add different veggies, it's all going to be topped with cheese and sausage gravy and everything will be right in the world.
First, start by getting the potato crowns in the oven and cooking according to the bag instructions. I prefer using potato crowns for these Breakfast Totchos because they are thinner and will crisp up more than the traditional "tot". While the potatoes are cooking, fry bacon slices on stovetop to desired crispiness. Lay slices on paper towel to drain.
In the same skillet with the bacon fat, add diced bell pepper & onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until softened. Remove from pan onto a plate and set aside.
Next, add 1 tbsp. butter to the skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, crack the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Add eggs to skillet and stir with rubber spatula until scrambled. Remove from heat and place onto plate with the peppers.
Homemade Sausage Gravy
In the SAME skillet, break sausage into pieces while cooking over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through. Sprinkle over flour and stir to soak up all the sausage fat. Cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk, salt & pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Keep on low heat, stirring occasionally. If you find that the gravy becomes too thick, add a little more milk.
Assembling the Breakfast Totchos
When potato crowns are done, remove from oven. Spread eggs, peppers & onions evenly over potatoes. Break bacon into small pieces and sprinkle over pan. Top with shredded cheese and place back into oven to melt the cheese, about 5 minutes. Remove the Breakfast Totchos from the oven and drizzle with the sausage gravy. Serve immediately.
These Breakfast Totchos are the perfect way to switch up your regular breakfast routine!
Other delicious breakfast ideas:
- 1 32 oz. bag potato rounds or crowns
- ½ onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 6 eggs
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ # pork sausage ground, bulk
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Prepare potato crowns according to bag instructions.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until desired crispness. Set on paper towel to drain.
- In the same skillet with the bacon fat, add onion and bell pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes until softened. Remove from pan onto plate and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet over medium heat. In small bowl crack the eggs and add salt & pepper. Whisk well and add to skillet. Stir with rubber spatula until perfectly scrambled. Remove from pan onto plate with the peppers, onions and bacon.
- In skillet, break sausage into pieces while cooking over medium-high heat. Cook until no longer pink.
- Sprinkle over 3 Tbsp. flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Keep on low heat, stirring occasionally. If gravy become too thick while cooking, add a little more milk.
Assembling the Totchos
- When potato crowns are done, remove from oven. Spread eggs, peppers & onions evenly over potatoes. Break bacon into small pieces and sprinkle over pan. Top with shredded cheese and place back into oven to melt the cheese, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle sausage gravy over whole pan. Serve immediately!
- Garnish Breakfast Totchos with sliced green onions for a pop of color!