This Pesto Chicken Flatbread Pizza uses store-bought shortcut ingredients like rotisserie chicken and jarred pesto to make an easy & delicious way to switch up pizza night!
My husband's favorite food in the world is pizza. I'm pretty sure he would eat it for every meal, every day, and thoroughly enjoy it. My kid's and I love it too, so it goes without saying that pizza is a pretty regular menu item at our house.
We do switch it up by getting good ol' delivery, take & bake, or the infamous frozen when hunger quickly strikes. We also love doing "build your own pizza" nights using store-bought flatbreads or naan bread along with a bunch of toppings so everyone can make their own. This is a fun activity for kids to help with.
This pesto chicken flatbread is perfect served for a quick weeknight meal or as an easy party appetizer!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- No prep - Only 6 ingredients are needed for this recipe and none of them require any extra prep. So easy!
- Fun flavors - The flavors of pesto, feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes aren't as commonly seen on pizza. This flatbread is a nice change from traditional red sauce pizza.
- Easily customizable - The ingredients for this recipe can easily be doubled or halved to feed a bigger or small crowd. Feel free to make your own pesto or use other cooked chicken you may have leftover.
The reason this recipe comes together so quickly is the use of store-bought ingredients. I have 5 recipes boxes full of recipes, and still have no shame in using store-bought shortcuts.
What matters is that you are taking some time, long or short, to create something delicious that your family can enjoy together.
Here are a few helpful tips on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Rotisserie chicken - One of my all-time favorite kitchen hacks is the use of rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli. I peel off all the chicken, shred it and portion it out to either freeze or use in a recipe like this one. I also love having it in the fridge to easily top a salad or make quesadillas.
- Jarred pesto - Enjoy the fresh flavors of basil pesto all year long with the jarred kind. It's an easy and affordable way to enjoy the flavor of pesto.
- Shredded mozzarella - I prefer using shredded mozzarella especially when I bake these flatbreads in the oven. While I love fresh mozzarella, I find it prevents it from crisping up the flatbreads due to it's moisture content.
- Sun-dried tomatoes - Similar to using shredded cheese, I like using sun-dried tomatoes to prevent extra moisture. I also love the texture and the concentrated flavor of sun-dried.
This flatbread is so easy to make that it only requires 3 steps!
Step 1: Prebake the flatbread. - Preheat to 425 degrees. Place flatbread on a baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes. This gives the flatbread a head start on crisping up before the toppings are added.
Step 2: Top the flatbread. - Spread pesto on top of flatbread, leaving ½ inch around the edge. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top.
Then, top with shredded chicken, feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
Step 3: Bake! - Bake the flatbread 7-8 minutes until the edges are crispy and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and slice into squares or triangles. Top with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
I love serving any pizza with a simple Caesar or garden salad. Fresh fruit or cut veggies are great options too. I also love the idea of serving pizzas and flatbreads as an appetizer. Cut the pizza into smaller squares as a fun addition to your next party.
One flatbread should nicely serve 4 people as an appetizer. I would double the recipe and make two flatbreads if serving it as a main dish.
Wherever you choose to serve it, this flatbread is sure to be a huge hit!
Sure! Use a homemade or store-bought pizza dough and top it the same way. Cooking time may vary slightly to fully cook and crisp up the crust, so watch it carefully. A pizza stone would work great for this.
To grill the flatbread, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the flatbread with olive oil and grill it on both sides for a couple minutes. Then top it and grill another 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Naan and pita bread would also work as the "crust" for this recipe. The smaller sizes of these breads would work nicely to create individual pizzas. I've also seen Keto friendly flatbreads in the grocery store that you could use.
Other Recipes You'll Love
Have you made one of my recipes? I’d love your feedback on the comment box and star rating below the recipe!
Pesto Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- 12 inch flatbread 2 small rounds
- ¼ cup basil pesto jarred
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup cooked chicken shredded
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- chopped fresh basil if desired
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place flatbread on a baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread pesto on top of flatbread, leaving ½ inch around the edge. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top.
- Place shredded chicken, feta cheese & sundried tomatoes evenly on the top of the pizza.
- Bake the flatbread 7-8 minutes until the edges are crispy and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and slice into squares or triangles. Top with fresh chopped basil, if desired.
- I love jarred pesto! It's usually found near the other pasta sauces in the grocery store. A huge time saver!
- Rotisserie chicken is one of my favorite kitchen hacks! I buy them, take all the meat off and use it in anything from soups, enchiladas, to this pizza! It also freezes great for moist, flavorful chicken anytime!
- This recipe should serve 4 as an appetizer. I would double the recipe if serving as a main dish.