Old Fashioned Coleslaw with Vinegar
This Old Fashioned Coleslaw recipe will change the way you thought coleslaw could be made. Serve this vinegar-based coleslaw as a side dish at your next potluck or picnic!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 14 oz. bags coleslaw mix w/ cabbage & carrots
- 1 green pepper diced small
- 1 small white or yellow onion sliced thin
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
Place coleslaw mix, green pepper and onion in a mixing bowl.
In a saucepan bring oil, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper to a rolling boil. Immediately pour mixture over the coleslaw and mix thoroughly.
Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Coleslaw can be stored for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Keep in mind the longer the coleslaw sits in the fridge the more liquid will be released, making the coleslaw soggier. This is why I recommend consuming the coleslaw within 5 days.
- The coleslaw could start to be eaten after about 12 hours, but keep in mind it will be drier. It is best to plan ahead for this recipe and let it sit for a full day.